Hello MMA fans and everyone else!
In the past few weeks, we’ve seen updates from UFC regarding the card of their upcoming seminal event – UFC 200 scheduled for July 9th, 2016. To sum up fan reactions (including this fan right here) in a word, it feels – Underwhelming.
So far, three fights were announced:
- Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne
- Gegard Mousasi vs. Derek Brunson
- Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum
Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take a card featuring these great fighters any day of the week and twice on a Sunday. But we’re not talking about “just” a PPV. We’re talking about the 200th!
Just a reminder – UFC 100 featured both bestselling fighters at the time – George St. Pierre and Brock Lesnar, in addition to other good fights. This is 100 PPVs later and I just don’t see the stakes being raised just yet…
I’ve heard the idea that the announced fights may be prelim fights and that makes perfect sense.
Unless we consider the current schedule for the various UFC biggest stars and Champions:
- Daniel Cormier (LHW champ) vs. Jon Jones (Technically never dethroned LHW champ) – UFC 197
- Mighty Mouse (Flyweight champ) vs. Henry Cejudo – UFC 197
- Fabricio Verdum (Heavyweight champ) Vs. Stipe Miocic – UFC 198
- Luke Rockhold (Middleweight champ) Vs. Chris Weidman – UFC 199
- Dominick Cruz (Bantamweight champ) Vs. Urijah Faber – UFC 199
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk (Strawweight champ) Vs.Claudia Gadelha – TUF finale
Conor McGregor (Featherweight champ) rumored to fight Nate Diaz – no Featherweight title fight available for UFC #200
Rafael Dos Anios at LW – a phenomenal fighter. Not such a big seller compared to some of the already booked champions.
Robbie Lawler at WW – Another fantastic fighter, who is popular but with less sales power than other champs.
Next on the PPV sales chart? I guess that’s still Ronda Rousey. Who is she fighting? The champion Miesha Tate? Or a rematch with Holly Holm? Either one will be a great fight and well deserving on being on UFC 200 Main card. But what else?
Here is where the conspiratorial speculation begins…
Imagine this card.
- Frankie Edgar vs. Max Holloway (or perhaps Renan Barao if he goes up a weight class)
- Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz
- Co-Co-Main event: Rafael Dos Anios Vs. (Winner of Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson)
- Co-main event: Miesha Tate vs. Ronda Rousey or Holly Holm
Now you might be saying, so you took care of every unscheduled champion, “bestseller” except for Robbie Lawler (Who I admit, is popular but not a major seller)… So who’s in the main event?
Another person, from whom we’ve been getting steadily increasing updates and news is no other than…
George St. Pierre!
Ever, the diplomat, GSP claims again and again that he’s not returning. Yet.
But what could possibly be a better tie back to UFC 100? What other fight could the UFC possibly dream for champion Robbie Lawler other than the greatest WW alive? We know that Rory Madonald is occupied with Stephen Thompson. I suspect that following that controversial decision win, UFC may not be in a rush to put Robbie in the cage with Carlos Condit right away. But GSP? Are you kidding me? It is the one and only fight I can see at this point, worthy enough to headline UFC 200.
It could be strictly as advertised – a fan’s conspiracy theory.
But… what if?
By all means, I’d be happy to hear your opinions. Your suggested fight cards. Drop us a line.